Monday 20 October 2008

Kids?

Today I had to take a bus journey. It was quite a busy bus and I took a seat upstairs near the back. Three teenage girls where sitting directly behind me on the long back bench seat. Almost as soon as sat down A string of verbal abuse, directed at me, began. The language, to put it mildly, was vulgar. No one could accuse me of being a prude but this was hard to accept. The girl directly behind me, was the obvious ring leader. She poke me on the shoulder. "Oi, you, what the f--k are you?" maybe I should have just got off the bus at that point and walked away? Why though, why should my life be dominated at the whim of three teenage girls? There was no reasoning with them. Their language and attitude was vitriolic. It was confrontational, abusive. My anger was rising, inside I was seething. Finally the ringleader stood up and stood over me. "You piece of s---, white trash." basically I told her to shut it, I had had enough, I just held eye contact, refusing to back down. She raised her voice even higher. "Shut it or I'll do you." Her two mates screeched encouragement. Her hand went to her jacket pocket. If she had gone any further I would have hit her and sod the consequences. Instead the three of them stalked off down the bus laughing and jeering. The rest of the passengers just sat there. It was obvious they did not want to be involved. usually when these things happen I somehow shrug it off, but this leaves me very unsettled, angry too. Confidence yet again eroded. It just raises yet more questions.

No comments: